Wednesday, December 14, 2011

I noticed that it has been two months since my last post. I was scolded twice last week for taking so long. On couple sent someone in to scold me on their behalf. Now that is just it. I will take my scoldings but only in person or over the phone. That means you too Cornishes!!!

I have no idea why this has taken so long. It's not like I've been busy, it is just hard to get motivated. Every time something happens and I think that I should write about it I sit down for a minute until the feeling passes.

So here it is December 14 but outside it looks more like March 14. We have only had one good dump of snow and one small amount preceded by rain. That first storm that didn't amount to much sure made a mess of the trails and roads. There were trees down everywhere. There were a lot without power for a day or two. The snowmobile club has been working fairly steadily clearing the trails so that they are ready just in case mother nature decides to play nice. Kudos to the half dozen or so that have been out three or four days a week with chain saws brushing trails. They have had some heavy work to do.

There was another very successful Santa Claus parade in Maynooth last weekend. Almost 20 floats and a big crowd to watch. Alas, we did not win a prize this year but we sure had fun trying. Our float had homemade palm trees, an active volcano, good music, a tiki bar (of course) and a herd of crazy people riding on it. I would post pictures if I could remember how to do it. I will try to find someone younger than me that knows how to do that kind of stuff.

As most of you know Highcountry Lodge closed this summer. Well now Spectacle Lake Lodge has also closed in the last couple of weeks. It is sad to see this happening so often. As well as losing dining destinations the area has also lost badly needed accommodation. Oh when will this down turn end?

Another sad note, Jim Borland passed away in late November. Jim was the older gentleman that did the bear hunt. He was a fixture at the diner coming in two or three times a day for coffee or whatever. He will be missed by a lot of people in the village.

The diner will be closed on Dec 24 & 25 but reopening on Boxing Day about 10:00. We will also be closing New Years Eve at 3:00 and opening Jan 1 at 10:00.

There is now snow expected until early next week. So unless something wonderful happens I won't be back until Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

Cheers
Nancy

No comments: